INTERESTED IN BECOMING A WRITING CENTER TUTOR?
- the joy of helping others is awesome!
- helping others with writing skills strengthens your own writing skills!
- colleges love students who were writing tutors.
- recommendations, recommendations, recommendations.
- it's only twice a month.
I'M LOOKING FOR 20 TOP NOTCH TUTORS INTERESTED IN HELPING OTHERS WITH UNDERSTANDING AND PLANNING THEIR WRITING ASSIGNMENTS. APPLICATIONS WILL BE MADE AVAILABLE SHORTLY. ALL TUTORS WILL BE TESTED THIS YEAR FOR WRITING PROFICIENCY BASICS. HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
1. Applications due: Tuesday 9/6 - please download application file below: (Writing Center Tutor contract & application)
2. Writing testing: lunchtime OR after school (3:15-4:15), whichever works for you - all tutors including returning tutors MUST be tested.
3. 9/9: TUTOR ACCEPTANCE NOTICES GIVEN
4. Tutor training sessions: ALL TUTORS INCLUDING RETURNING TUTORS MUST ATTEND
SESSION DATES: 9/12, 9/13, 9/14 (3:15-4:15pm)
~ Please contact me with any questions you have at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Writing Center Locker
What is the Abraham Lincoln High School Writing Center?
It is a place where Lincoln students can go to get help and support for any type of writing assignment at any stage of the writing process. The writing center is run by two English teachers and trained peer-tutors.
How do I get help in the Writing Center?
Bring everything relating to the assignment, and drop by after school during tutoring hours.
What do I bring?
Bring the teacher's assignment, any needed handouts, books, questions, anything you've written so far, a positive attitude, and a desire to improve your writing.
What should I expect?
Expect to fill out a "Writing Center Record" when you arrive before you meet with a tutor. Then you will meet with a peer writing tutor to discuss your writing assignment. Expect to discuss and examine the assignment, any work you've completed so far, your ideas, your organization, your evidence, your clarity of presentation. Do not expect tutors to be "proofreaders" or to write the assignment for you. Do not expect to leave with a "perfect" product. Expect tutors to be resourceful, supportive, active listeners who want to help you improve your writing. Expect to be with a tutor for a minimum of 15 minutes.