Skip to main content

Bernard Hicks

 

        Bernard Hicks, Jr. was a member of the Fall Class of 1943, one of Abraham Lincoln High School's pioneer classes.

        He was born on August 31, 1925, to Bernard Joseph, Sr., and Emilea Louise (Jensen) Hicks, in San Francisco. His father was born in Washington, D.C., on August 28, 1900, and died on April 13, 1990, while his mother was born in San Francisco on November 14, 1902, and died on December 14, 1975.

        Bud had a sister, Margery Louise, born in San Francisco on February 21, 1934. She was a graduate of Abraham Lincoln High School in the Fall Class of 1951. Margery married Fred Henry Will, who was born in Chicago, Illinois, on February 14, 1934. They had two children born in San Francsico: Alan Keith and Cara Ann. Cara Ann married Randall Wong. and they had one daughter, Lianne.

        Bud entered Lincoln in the Fall 1940 and graduated in Abraham Lincoln's Fifth Commencement Class on February 3, 1944. While at Lincoln, he was active in the Order of DeMolay, was a commercial artist, and worked for the Sherman-Clay Company. It is alleged by his sister that he designed the caricature of "The Mustang" as a mascot for Abraham Lincoln High School.

        The 1943-1944 Roundup states the following about Bernard Hicks:". . . 'Bud's' future is up to the discretion of local selective Board No. 83 . . .time will tell."

        He entered military service following graduation with the United States Army. After basic training at Fort Ord, he was assigned to the Armored Training Center at Fort Knox, Kentucky, Company B, 17th Armored Battalion. While Bud was at Fort Knox, there was an epidemic of polio. He was afflicted and died within three days on July 24, 1944.

        The World II Honor List of Dead & Missing Army and Army Air Forces Personnel from California notes that he was a private and died of a non-battle cause.

        His remains were returned to California and interred at the Golden Gate National Cemetery, San Bruno, San Mateo County, California, on August 1, 1944, in Section H7, Grave #3208. The remains of his father, Bernard J., Sr., and mother, Emilea, were subsequently interred in the grave next to him in Section H7, Grave #3207.